Gail Wartman is engaged in a general practice with a focus on estate litigation, residential real estate, and municipal law.
Gail has been involved in providing legal advice in the area of wills, estates and trusts, including charitable beneficiaries and persons who feel they have been wrongfully excluded from a share of an estate. She both initiates and defends claims and seeks court direction as best serves the needs of clients.
With Gail’s real estate practice she assists clients with residential real estate transactions. Gail works with each client to ensure they understand each aspect of their transaction. She assists sellers in making sure they receive their sale proceeds on time, and will assist both buyers and sellers in formulating offers to purchase in private sales. She also assists with sales by tender.
Particular areas of experience in municipal law include zoning, sub-division, and other land use issues, access to information and privacy, and bylaw formulation and enforcement. Gail has also had experience before administrative tribunals, including Police Act Discipline matters and labour arbitrations.
Before joining McDougall Gauley, Gail worked as a private practitioner and for the City of Regina for eight years. She also spent two years at the legislative building as chief of staff to a cabinet minister.
- Saskatchewan, 1980
- Certified Mediator, Dispute Resolution Office, Saskatchewan Justice, 2005
- Juris Doctor, University of Saskatchewan, 1978
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Regina, 1977
- Festival of Words, Board of Directors, 2008-2010
- Family Service Bureau, Regina
- United Church Housing Corporation, Regina
- Alameda Housing Authority
- Indian Friendship Centre, Carlyle
- United Church of Canada
- Judicial Committee and Manual Committee, Toronto
- Church in Society/Outreach Committees at congregation and presbytery levels
- Mainline Music Festival Association, Indian Head, Awards Co-ordinator,
- Prairie Christian Training Centre, Fort Qu'Appelle, Board of Directors
Memberships & Associations
- Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Canadian Bar Association - Saskatchewan Branch
- President, 2014-2015
- Vice President, 2013-2014
- Treasurer, 2012-2013
- National Membership Committee: Chair, 2011-2013; Vice-Chair, 2009-2011
- National Finance Committee, member 2011-2013
- National Sections Committee, member, 2009-2011
- Sask. Membership Committee, Chair, 2006-2012
Presenter and Chair of conferences on criminal and family law, access to information and privacy, wills and estates, ethics in civil practice, elder law, human rights, bylaw enforcement.