Brett Ledingham's practice focuses on oil and gas law and mining law.
Brett represents a number of oil and gas companies in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and Manitoba and owners of freehold mineral rights with holdings in southeast, southwest and west central Saskatchewan. He advises both oil companies and landowners with respect to royalty disputes, offset well obligations and other leasehold issues. Brett provides advice and recommendations to freehold mineral owners respecting the negotiation of both mineral and surface leases. In addition, he has represented both freehold mineral owners and oil and gas companies with respect to the transmission of mineral and surface interests from estates to beneficiaries, estate planning for freehold mineral owners with respect to oil and gas rights and the leasing and sale of mineral rights by estates in Saskatchewan.
Brett also represents a number of mining companies with respect to the acquisition, maintenance and development of their potash, uranium, coal, clay and gold and other precious metal mining operations throughout Saskatchewan. He has acted for both vendors and purchasers of mining rights in Saskatchewan and has worked extensively with the LAND system of real property registration as well as the Ministry of Economy’s system of registration. Brett also advises and represents clients with respect to the transfer of mineral rights as well as the registration, continuance and discharge of interests in both freehold and Crown lands.
- Saskatchewan, 1998
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Saskatchewan, 1997
- Bachelor of Commerce, Economics, (Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 1994
- Regina Thunder of Prairie Junior Football Conference, Director, 2006-2012
- Hockey Regina, Female Atom Head Coach, 2013-present
- Hockey Regina, Female Atom, PeeWee, Bantam A Assistant Coach, 2008-present
Awards & Recognition
- Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining, 2018
- Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers, 2018
- "Best Lawyers in Canada"
- Energy Law, 2015-present
- Oil & Gas Law, 2015-present
Memberships & Associations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Environmental and Natural Resources
- Business Law South
- Law Society of Saskatchewan
- Regina Bar Association
- Canadian Energy Law Foundation
Business Organizations and Tort Law, University of Regina, Sessional Lecturer, 1999–present
“Oil and Gas and Mining Law in Saskatchewan”, Saskatchewan Legal Education Society Inc., Facilitator, 2008
“Freehold Mineral Leases”, Canadian Bar Association, Mid-Winter Meeting, 2012
“Focus on Agriculture & Farm Law - Mineral Titles, Continuing Professional Legal Education and Development”, 2013
“Mineral, Oil & Gas Rights in Saskatchewan”, Lorman Conference, 2013